Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Great Gift Challenge

Matthew 2:11—On entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother; and they knelt down and paid him homage. Then, opening their treasure chests, they offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

Christmas is the time of year when we give and receive gifts.  In our consumer-obsessed culture, gifts tend to be tangible, often-times expensive, and frequently numerous.  Even as I’m considering gifts for my own children, I’m struggling to find a balance in the melee of stuff they “want” and “need.”  Giving doesn’t seem to mean as much, though, when we are giving things to people who don’t really need more things.  So, I’m challenging myself this Christmas season to reimagine giving.  I want to give to those who really need it.  And for my loved ones, who fortunately are not in need of things, I want to give them something that touches their soul, that feeds their spirit, and that makes them a better them.  Will you accept the challenge to give in a way that makes a difference this Christmas?


Today as you pray and meditate on His Word, praise God for the perfect gift of His Son.  Rejoice in God’s divine imagination that He would give us such a beautiful and life-changing gift.  Ask God to inspire you to reimagine Christmas this year so that your giving would advance His Kingdom and change the lives of those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment