Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Shattered Glass: Seeking God When Life Falls Apart

Psalm 42:4-6a—These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I went with the throng, and led them in procession to the house of God, with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving, a multitude keeping festival.  Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me?  Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God.

Sometimes it seems like our universe can do a complete 180 in the blink of an eye.  It’s entirely unsettling when we are moving along beautifully in our lives and then suddenly the entire world has shattered around us.  That’s exactly what happened to me a few years ago, just before moving to Savannah.  We were living in Florida and everything was about as perfect as it could get.  My career was going well, my family was healthy, my friends were faithful.  And then one day, my career was snatched out from underneath me.  During that time, I felt so confused, and I kept wondering how it happened.  How was it possible that Wednesday morning I was on my way to a promotion and by Wednesday afternoon I was being told I had utterly failed.  My brain, my body, and my soul did not know how to process it, and I kept thinking about those wonderful times before noon on Wednesday trying to understand how my world had turned so dark.  Then one day, about three weeks later, an overwhelming sense of peace settled in all around me, and suddenly I understood that I was being prepared for something bigger, a particular mission God had in place for me and my family.  It was about two days after that peaceful feeling that I was approached about moving to Savannah.  Had my world not turned upside down, I would not have been where I needed to be to get that offer.  And even if I had gotten it, I probably would not have taken the risk at all.  But God knew all along what He was preparing in me, and He used all things, even the painful things, for His Honor and Glory.


Today as you pray and meditate on this Scripture, think about where you are in your life and thank God for all He has used to bring you there.  Can you genuinely say thank you for even difficult times?  If you struggle to thank Him for the adversity you have endured, pray for understanding and a grateful spirit to grow within you that you might joyfully thank Him for even the most difficult times you have passed through in your life.  Pray that you might always trust in His plan for your life that He will work everything together exactly as it is intended to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment