Thursday, July 24, 2014

Finding contentment in what God has provided

Philippians 4:10-13—I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength.
In this passage, Paul is giving thanks to the church at Philippi for sending him an offering.  In his thanks, it is important for him to show gratitude while at the same time reassuring the church that he does not depend on their contributions because God always provides for his needs.  In our lives, we should strive for a similar contentment.  Just yesterday I was able to reunite with a dear friend whom I see only a couple of times a year.  Over the last four years, I have seen her endure significant family struggles involving her role as step-mother to two children whose birth mother suffers from severe mental illness.  There have been times when it seems like she and her family just cannot catch a break.  Last night as she was catching me up on the latest, she shared with me how they had run into some walls with the court system back in May.  During that time she had reached out to her father to complain and vent about how terrible their situation was.  She confessed that she was starting to doubt God because she could not see Him in the midst of their circumstances.  Her dad challenged her to shift her focus to those things that were going the right way instead of concentrating on those things that were not working out.  Last night, my friend listed off countless blessings, opportunities, gifts, and abundance that God had provided even in the midst of saying no to some of her specific requests.  She is in the process of learning contentment, and she feels blessed that her father was able to point her in that direction.
Today I challenge you to shift your focus and find contentment in your life.  Ask God to reveal Himself to you in whatever your circumstance.  Stop concentrating on what you want or what you don't have and begin thanking God for what He has provided.  Ask Him for understanding so that you can rejoice in all that He has provided you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment