Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Who is Your Hero?

Romans 3:23—All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

My favorite hero of the Bible is Esther.  At least once a year I take the time to sit down and read the book of Esther from cover to cover just to reconnect with her.  Each time I read her story, I see her in a new light, through new filters of my own experience, and I understand her and God’s use of her in new ways.  My obsession with Esther started off quite simply – I read the book because I share her name (my middle name is Esther).  But in reading her story, I became fascinated with how God used her and with what God had even called her to do.  I identified with her trepidation, her fears, her anxiety and her desire to put all that aside to live into her calling.  If we look at any hero of the Bible, we see that God uses imperfect people.  He takes our doubts and turns them into our strengths. He calls us to do inexplicable tasks – at least inexplicable to most of the world around us.  Connecting with a Biblical hero can help us grow and mature in our spiritual lives.  It is a reminder that God doesn’t expect perfection from us because we all sin, we all fall short.  No one could possibly ever do it alone.  Connecting with a hero shows us how we can seek and hear God in any circumstance. So, who is your hero?


Today as you pray and meditate on God’s Word, thank Him for the gift of example through others.  Praise Him as the God of grace and mercy.  Rejoice that He does not expect perfection from His Creation.  Devote yourself to Him anew and seek out a hero connection in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment