Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Witnessing to Unbelievers

Romans 10:14—How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

As Christians we are called to be a witness for God and to spread the Gospel even to the ends of the earth.  This duty can often be difficult to fulfill, though, because for so many of us our Christian identity is not necessarily the first thing we let people see.  On the flipside, a lot of times non-believers are pushed away by overzealous Christians who try way too hard.  Just yesterday I noticed a post from a friend on Facebook that announced she was unfriending someone who had tried to proselytize her.  This friend is an atheist who told me a few weeks ago that she can accept that some people “need” God, but she is not one of those “needy” people.  (You have to imagine the snarl.)  I felt at a loss about what to say. So I shifted the focus by telling her that to me, the question is more about not denying the Spirit that I have so clearly seen and felt on countless occasions in my life.  Do I need God? Absolutely.  Is that shameful?  No way. But would it have been a good idea to engage her in the needfulness conversation? Probably not.  Being a good witness is about meeting people where they are and allowing them to feel the love of Jesus Christ through you.  So many non-believers are scared of being judged, of losing their identity, and of not fitting in.  When we witness to others, we should be mindful of showing compassion for them while remaining steadfast in our beliefs.  I hope I was an example to my friend of a person who loves both God and humanity.


Today as you pray and meditate on His Word, ask God to reveal His plan for how He wants you to be a witness for Him.  Confirm to God that you are a willing vessel and pray for wisdom and strength to pull people in and not push them away.  Tell God you hear His call and are saying “yes” to it.  Thank Him for choosing you to be an ambassador for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment